For Injured Workers

California’s No Fault Workers’ Compensation Insurance is paid for by your employer and mandated by the State for all California employees. The purpose of Workers’ Compensation Insurance is to ensure prompt medical treatment and payment of services for any employee who sustains a job related injury or illness in the course of their employment.


If you are injured at work, notify your Supervisor immediately.  If you sustain an injury that occurs over a period of time, notify your Supervisor as soon as you become aware that your illness or injury may have arisen in the course of your employment.


When you report your injury or illness, your school site administrator will ask you to fill out a form called the DWC-1 and to sign a receipt indicating you were given the form.  The administrator will then ask if you would like to seek medical treatment and/or file a claim.  If you decide to file a claim, you will be directed to your nearest SIG authorized Occupational Health Clinic.  To review the authorized clinics for your area, click here.


Employees are not required to file a claim for every incident, but a claim must be filed in order for any related medical treatment to be paid under Workers’ Compensation Insurance.


If you are involved in an incident but do not need to seek medical treatment, it is still helpful to all parties to notify your Supervisor or District Office personnel. By filing an incident report, you may help your Safety Committee become aware of training needs, or alert your Maintenance Department of safety hazards that need to be fixed.  Occasionally, an employee will report an incident that does not need medical attention at the time, but may become symptomatic at a future date.  The incident report will document the date and circumstance of the incident, and may preserve your rights for future treatment under the Workers’ Compensation system.


If you need to seek medical treatment, it is your responsibility to go directly to the authorized clinic, and to bring the status report back to your District Office as soon as possible after you are seen.  Your District Office Claims Coordinator will track your work status, and work with your supervisor to find appropriate modified duty while you recover from your injury. You need to bring a copy of each new work status for review by your District Office Coordinator even if you have been released to full duty by your treating physician. Failure to keep your district current on your physical status during an injury can cause delays in treatment or temporary disability payments. Most importantly, a current work status is essential for assigning safe temporary assignments.

© Copyright Schools Insurance Group. All Rights Reserved.